Big Jim here, comin' at you from the heart of the World Famous Hatfield-McCoy Trails....
This morning as I drove downtown to mail out some bills I saw that city employees had set up bleacher seating and were getting ready for this week's West Virginia Freedom Festival.
Freedom Fest has become a tradition in the City of Logan over the years. It is a time when there are bands, entertainers, showmen, food vendors and more set up all over the towntown area to surprise, delight and feed you. There will be wild animals. There will be great bands. There will be funnel cakes, Polish sausages, pulled pork bar-b-que sandwiches and a whole lot more, including fireworks shows!
As I work downtown 6 days a week, needels to say I am excited about the food vendors the most, LOL....
For a few brief but glorious days, I can walk down the steps, walk a block or two and get my pick of different food. You have no idea what this means to me. You see, a month or so ago the Logan Taco Bell closed for remodeling. As a bachelor who does not cook, I am pretty sick to death of burgers and chicken sandwiches. Given how courthouse and downtown employees ALWAYS pile up at the food vendors I am probably not the only one with that feeling....
Last month at the Logan City Council, Mayor Serafino Nolletti and City Clerk Amber Miller Viars and others discussed the attractions at this year's Freedom Fest...
Freedom Festival will run through the July 4th weekend.
Musical entertainment includes everything from rock to country: FireHouse will headline on Thurs., July 3 at 8:30 p.m.with opening act Mile To Nowhere; and Kiss cover band Dressed to Kill will headline on Fri., July 4 at 8:30 p.m.; the annual Block Party with DJ Bill France will also be on July 4 at 6:30p.m. at Courthouse Square; and country band Confederate Railroad will headline before the Fireworks Show on July 5 at 8:30 p.m. Special treat - Confederate Railroad’s opening act will be the local band Coal Fired.
The Firecracker 5k run will be Sat. July 5 and there will be Super Hero themed presentation in memory of little Gabe Lyall a local boy with a love of comic book heroes who captured hearts across the country during his heroic struggle with fatal illness. The Hell Riders Wall of Death will be located on Aracoma Hotel Lot across from the State Office Building. They will perform all three nights during the festival. If you have not seen there act you may remember an Australian Indy movie back in the day about a young man obsessed with an old Elvis movie where a motorcycle daredevil rode around and around in a big barrel going parallel to the ground....
Also, new this year, the Mobile Zip Line Adventure will be set up.
Other attractions are:
- Logan High School’s Tennis Team will host a tennis camp for children kindergarten-8th grade on July 5.
- Diamond Jim Old Time Photos will be located on the old Parking Building Lot near DMV.
- Puppeteer Sylvia Fletcher will be on stage between the Courthouse and McCormick’s all three days at various times with shows that have been said to be great for children.
- The tigers, a crowd favorite, will be returning all three nights in shows located on the parking building lot across from the DMV
- The Magic of Speed magic show will have multiple shows all three days
- Ditsy the Clown will be returning to paint faces
- The Living Treasure Wildlife Exhibit will be set up during the festival
- The annual window decorating contest for downtown businesses will continue. The only requirement for entering the contest is decorating the business’ windows.
The festival will be held from July 3-5 in downtown Logan. Remember- the amusements and the shows are all FREE. But bring pocket money for food and gifts and souvinirs!
All concerts are open and free to the public.